Thursday, November 19, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#100)

I've been contemplating the nature of this submission for several days: the image has been readied for perhaps a week now, but my consciousness has struggled to formulate the attending narrative. At this point I've little optimism that a breakthrough of sparkling clarity is forthcoming, thus I'll offer what I may tonight.

I took this image the morning after returning from the harrowing, healing, surreal and sublime trip to Arizona, barely forty-eight hours after my mother's "passing." I'd not been out of bed long when my attention was grasped by the interplay of shadows, silky textures and the striking swaths of light on the living room blinds. Barely awake, I was already aware of two things: the first hints of emotional grief -- Reality -- were beginning to set in . . . and this scene demanded my artistic attention as a therapeutic exercise.

Mortality was on my mind, and this composition evoked a strong sense of hope -- that beyond the most fundamental mystery of human existence, past the dark veil, perhaps our soul regroups and enjoys limitless bliss in choreographed dances with kindred spirits.

Thus I present here a serendipitous composition which carries complex and significant emotional weight in the context of recent developments . . . The translucent material stands in for the notion of the passage through life's end and towards the unknown; the curtains effectively blind us to what truly is on The Other Side; currents of mystery seemingly swirl around with dark places just out of sight. Yet those lovely, arcing rays of white light suggest pure, joyously rising souls, our very essence, continuing on -- perhaps to reemerge into bright and expansive spaces and (and renewed life) coyly suggested by the glow seeping between those otherwise opaque slats. Hence: Death, as an illusion.


The Blind Veil (Spirits Dancing), #5544

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: November 8, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/60 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 42mm.

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment