Sunday, November 22, 2009

Seeting 2009 (#102)

This submission is a mea culpa.

In my prior post I allowed my beloved brother Eric a single line of recognition - his birthday was yesterday - but then, rather too characteristically, I rushed on to the next topic (that being an image I shot yesterday, about which I was quite excited). Combined with my sister Ami's astounding work as a makeup artist in the film industry, I'm blessed and amazed to have a pair of inspiring siblings.

Thus, this evening a rare offering of images of an individual . . . and what an amazing individual: my brother is one of the most broadly and deeply artistically endowed people I've ever met. I took up photography years ago in no small part because I could never manage to draw well . . . my brother with seeming ease can reproduce complex illustrations freehand. I struggle mightily to write; he is a natural wordsmith and a much deeper thinker on top of it. I can play the radio, stereo, and kazoo . . . Eric was once a solo saxophonist in a jazz band, and continues to expand his considerable guitar skills in just the latest of his bands, Pegataur.

The first image was taken as Eric and his Pegataur band-mate Aaron played, live, in the extremely cramped San Jose State University radio station. I took quite a few shots through the wire-mess safety glass of the studio door; the sturdy barrier effectively kept me out but did little to suppress the enthusiasm and energy of the high velocity notes from within. (I was particularly exited to be taking these images, as the studio is in the building immediately adjacent to the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. library, where I'd just started a new job only three days before!)

The second photograph was taken on a BART ride at the end of a San Francisco shopping experience -- I'd joined Eric et. al. to be fitted as a wedding-party member for Eric and his now-wife Sharon's nuptials.

* * *

Eric Plays, #1933

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: December 6, 2008; Canon 20D; f/6.3 @ 1/10 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 1600; 61mm.

__________




Eric and BART rider, #2941

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: May 2, 2009; Canon 20D; f/6.3 @ 1/60 sec; -1 EV; ISO 800; 85mm.

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment