Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#58)

For your consideration: representations of flowers' Forms, as per Plato.

Since my earliest tentative forays into the creative possibilities of photography I've greatly enjoyed the elegance and subtle complexities revealed in the close study of plant life. Having a superior macro lens lends itself to such pleasures.

The first offering is from the sole plant in my office at the library; it was a gift from the staff as condolences for the passing of my biological mother last year. As such it has come to symbolize for me a sort of living memorial to her. Consequently I was appalled when I returned to work on Monday and discovered the leaves and stalks uniformly limp, sagging and yellowing from lack of water . . . I hurriedly soaked the pot thoroughly with thin hope that I might be able to save this entity at least from an early death. At first the prognosis seemed grim, but I am pleased to report that three days later the patient seems to be rallying strongly. This particular photograph was taken almost two weeks ago, in the late afternoon under natural lighting conditions -- and well before my lapse into plant abuse occurred.

The second composition was taken while recently visiting friends for dinner and cards; I noticed an exquisitely crafted and detailed set of salt-and-pepper shakers in a glass curio cabinet next to the dining table and - as intuition had compelled me to bring my camera along for the occasion - I was granted permission to take a few shots. Besides being attracted to the fine artistry rarely seen these days, I also wanted to create a visual pun of sorts, a nod to one of my photography cohorts who happens to find most flower pictures of modest interest at best . . . I've warned him that quite soon I'd be posting at least one more lily . . . this one's for your viewing pleasure, with a wink, my friend.



White Blossom (L'Homage à ma mere), #7359

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: April 16, 2010; Canon 20D; f/9 @ 1/60 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 400; 100mm.

__________



Inorganic Lily, #7428

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: April 24, 2010; Canon 20D; f/2.8 @ 1/50 sec; ±0 EV; ISO 400; 100mm.

__________


1 comment: