Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Room 216 musings

Room 216, in this particular case, refers to the very nice quarters my wife Julianna and I have enjoyed, since the night before last, in the Hyatt Place Rancho Cordova.

I've traveled extensively, and have experienced pretty close to the full gamut of hotel environments: from far-too-old roadside motels to true 5-star international suites . . . and this place is surprisingly nice, even for the well-renowned Hyatt chain.

During our stay I took advantage of a bathtub design seemingly rare in America: one that almost conforms to the human back . . . thus making the prospect of a comfortable bath (as opposed to shower) a real possibility.

Last night's bath was actually this morning's: finding myself unable to sleep I slipped into the bathroom and began a lengthy soak at 1:30 a.m. During that time, with a single candle burning, the door closed, and the room utterly quiet, I decided a meditation period would be a healthy exercise.

I'll write more on this later, but for now I wish to put down two insights which came my way during this contemplation and attempt to still my Mind:

1. All of my "problems" are like the rivulets of sweat which inched their way down my face as I sat immersed in the hot water: troublesome only in direct proportion to how much emphasis I give them, and temporary by definition.

2. I approach nearly every new experience with a subtle yet potent undercurrent of fear, rather than allow myself the possible exhilaration which comes from learning something. (The most recent example of this: attempting to put together a trivial website using CSS techniques.)

I have much to be gained from these messages provided me by the Universe last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment