Friday, April 17, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#12)

High intensity day at work -- a considerable bit of new technical knowledge needed to be promptly applied to a situation visible (directly) at the rarefied summit of the management chain. From time to time a low-grade sense of chaos crept in; in recent days I've had the grace and luxury to seclude myself in small study rooms in the office's upper floors where I undertake silent meditations of 30 minutes or so . . . no chance of that today.

In fact, I left work in time to make a weekly 6:00pm Thursday commitment, went home for a quiet dinner (and some wrestling with security issues on my home PC -- who do you call when you are IT Guy?), and then returned to work in order to move this project as far along as possible before the doors open Friday morning. I don't mind this so much: I'm naturally nocturnal, and I thoroughly enjoyed the solitude which allowed me to crank up my workstation speakers' performance of some excellent Blues offered on Pandora.com last night and into this morning's wee hours. In fact I was able to pull of attending to both the major work project whilst also monitoring the status of my home machine simultaneously, via the marvels of VPN connections.

Nonetheless I'm exhausted and in some need of simple calmness and quiet time above and beyond that which will doubtless be a feature of the comatose-like sleep which is moments away.

In this spirit today I offer the image below, one of my favorite efforts in the past year; it nicely captures those elements and concepts which increasingly matter to me: grace, simplicity, and especially the tenuous, beautiful and fleeting nature of existence. This photograph demonstrates a paradox: the illusion of solidity existing simultaneously with an evanescent sense of reality, carried away by mere wisps, of a breath just past and its coexistent consequences . . .

Bonsoir, mes amis.


Candle #2151

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: December 30, 2008; Canon 20D, f/11, 1/320 sec, ISO 400, 85mm.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment