Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#31)

My grandfather was an amateur architect, among other things; perhaps this explains why much of my oeuvre is comprised of images featuring a formality of composition involving angular lines, symmetries, repetitive pattens and the like. (Or, perhaps I was simply born with this particular angle on art.)

Just after Sunday lunch at last weekend's retreat in San Juan Bautista I returned to our room in order to pack up. Somewhat unexpectedly my wife proposed that we take a nap before leaving the grounds and returning to the madness of modern civilization. The siesta was lovely.

Upon awakening I remained on the bed a few moments to take in the peaceful atmosphere of our spare and simple accommodations. While laying there I was struck by the play of muted light on the bathroom door, which was slightly ajar, and the several geometric planes -- ceiling, wall and door juxtaposed among themselves -- which presented a scene both of simplicity and powerful form.

Thus, here is an image which is sustained virtually entirely on the merits of angular arrangements combined with implications of depth derived not from receding perspectives but rather from both seamless and abrupt changes in the play of light on the surfaces. There is an additional aspect of interest from the subtle textures in the ceiling, in contrast to the vast expanses devoid of detail.

I spent several hours playing with several variations of this photograph, including differing orientations, color vs. black & white (there was virtually no color present in the scene), and filter effects. Several of the alternative "realities" had compelling appeal . . . I may post more versions of this image in the coming weeks. This edition actually represents the closest to the original scene in front of me whilst I was emerging from the cobwebs of my nap.



Sunday afternoon in Room 49 #3653

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: June 7, 2009; Canon 20D; f/5.6 @ 1/80 sec; -1/3 EV; ISO 400; 44mm.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment