Sunday, August 2, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#51)

Late afternoon, outside of Kingman, Arizona.

There is a Loner within me, one that when encountering open spaces such as this wants to trek off into the distance (it would risk a cliché to include "by horseback" except that I'd first need to learn how to ride), find a remote, secluded bit of territory never-before-visited by humans, and camp out for a long period. Doing what? Reading, taking siestas, meditating and relishing the incredible starry nights of the high desert.

I doubt many such virginal places exist any longer, and I inevitably feel a tinge of sadness when I consider that reality. The presence of a fence piercing and dividing such an otherwise boundless scene drives home the reality. I wonder though: is the barbed wire intended to preserve what is left, or to keep the mountains from somehow seeking their own escape?


Fenced Mountain Frontier, Arizona, #7619

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: January 6, 2007; Canon 20D; f/16 @ 1/400 sec; ±0 EV; ISO 400; 44mm.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment