Monday, December 21, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#111)

Tonight's submission is a semi-abstract study of light, form and texture offered as an homage to the Winter Solstice for those of us in the northern hemisphere; 'tis the Summer Solstice below the equator.

This image is converted from its color original in order to emphasize the powerful emergence of light from darkness, a celebration of the trajectory of lengthening days and shorter nights to come.

Hailing from Tucson, Arizona, as I do, I'm much more inclined to bask in ole Sol's illumination than linger under gloomy skies (in apparent contradiction to my love of nocturnal photography). As I've grown older I've noticed an increasing emotional sensitivity to the amount of available light. Since Tucson receives, on average, fully 85% of the available sunshine to be had annually (in the U.S. only Phoenix and Yuma are bathed in more rays) it goes to reason I rather lean towards those photons as winter deepens.

Consequently, I offer this scene as a hint of hope, brightening spirits, the peace and tranquility of fresh mornings, new days full of opportunities, and light's power to warm souls and heal the wounds of stormy experiences --- and in praise of optimism. Though dark it may have been, light will always return to illuminate one's way.


Early Morning Light (Another Day), #2801

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: May 18, 2008; Canon 20D; f/7.1 @ 1/60 sec; ±0 EV; ISO 800; 35mm.

__________


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful shot...I describe it as "silvery," and I like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete