Thursday, March 4, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#30)

For your consideration: two starkly different canvases, one depicting grandeur and elegance on an epic scale, rich with color and complexity, the other a monochromatic close study of graceful simplicity and abundant texture.

The first image is one of many to come from a recent evening photographic excursion with my dear friend Jerry, the second nocturnal outing this past week (the first being a late night exploration of the surreal scenery in Alviso). It was a dark and stormy night featuring: gusting winds, a low sweeping cover of broken clouds, and just-past-full moon which occasionally broke through. This photograph was taken from the Marin Headlands' overlook at Battery Spencer.

(When a senior in high school, circa 1977, I took what has become an award-winning black and white photograph in the bunkers at this location using my Minolta XE-7. Times have changed . . .)

The second offering was taken during a visit to my friend Ben's family's cabin in Twain Harte; a lengthy discussion was underway and I had at my disposal: my hat, a table, and my camera. VoilĂ .

* * *


Golden Gate, #6520

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: March 2, 2010; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 25 secs; - 1/3 EV; ISO 200; 21mm.

__________



Untitled, #6096

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: January 30, 2010; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 8 secs; -2/3 EV; ISO 200; 55mm.

__________


1 comment:

  1. Dad and I really like the photo of the bridge. It would really look good in our house!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete