Thursday, May 6, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#64)

For your consideration: a change of pace from recent submissions . . .

Those who follow my work know that my photographs generally feature rather formal and often complex compositions; I usually strive to eliminate any and all elements I deem irrelevant or potentially distracting. However in this case I retained 100% of the original arrangement; amidst the chaos are many subtle repetitions and counterbalancing elements.

I did give some consideration to cropping the frame across the top and on the left . . . but what caught my vision to begin with were the myriad inanimate faces and figures scattered throughout the scene, ironic commentaries on the question of who is doing the scrutinizing in this window. In particular, I chose to keep the tiny angelic face at the bottom left, which nicely mimics Hannah's cocked face, serves as a gentle offset to the stern bust glaring from the center, and creates a strong line between the trio.



Hannah in Little Italy, #1837

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: November 24, 2008; Canon 20D; f/5.6 @ 1/25 sec; -1 EV; ISO 800; 85mm.

__________


No comments:

Post a Comment