Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#124)

For your consideration: a stoic, anchored in his outpost gazing indifferently, unwaveringly, into the distance.

I took this whilst wandering the streets of Edinburgh during my one (weekend) visit there in the midst of a long, delightful posting to England. I love England, and greatly enjoyed my all-to-brief visit to Scotland. Spotting this ever-vigilante bust struck me as quite odd and yet firmly in exactly the right place.

The slightly cocked pose seems to convey an air of melancholy despair, as if knowing he's imprisoned even without any bars to restrain him. Most of us have felt such quiet angst at least once in our lives . . .

Shot on color transparency 35mm film, scanned with a Nikon Coolscan V.



Man in Wall, Edinburgh

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: circa 1996; Nikon F2 ; exposure data unknown; Nikkor 135mm.

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment