Sunday, April 17, 2011

Seeing 2011 (#60)

For your consideration: a pointed perspective on the combined effects of image compression and shallow depth-of-field arising from the use of a long telephoto . . . and another riff on Impermanence.

As an Arizona native I have an inherited love and affection for desert flora; I grew up with both a saguaro and a palo verde tree in my backyard. Since 1984 I've been on an unexpectedly long, apparently extended visit to the realm of Northern California's Bay Area, a clime far removed from that of my homeland. Thus, despite having lived here for nearly seventeen years I continue to be surprised whenever I encounter plant life which strikes me as incongruous with the local Pacific atmosphere.

I relish such simple moments, as they not only call me back to my arid roots but also remind me of life's capacity to adapt and flourish even when out of its element. Hence, a lesson that as all things are subject to change, naturally our personal environment (be it on the emotional, physical, or spiritual level) adheres to this often discomforting principle. Yet the cactus illustrates the essence that the willingness to accept change may indeed be a prerequisite for survival . . . pain arises from resistance, while liberation flows from embracing reality as it presents itself.



Alviso Agave Apex, #1187

© 2011 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: April 15, 2011; Canon 20D; f/5.6 @ 1/320 sec; ±0 EV; ISO 400; 480mm.

________

No comments:

Post a Comment