Thursday, July 14, 2011

Seeing 2011 (#111)

For your consideration: this image has been aged 3 years in my photographic inventory; I seriously doubt the insect is still perched on this appealing snippet of early morning sunlight.

What surprised me when I turned my attention to processing this photograph was the discovery that I used my 17-85mm zoom (as opposed to my macro) . . . since it would four months later before I purchased the latter as a birthday gift to myself. At the time the zoom was the premier lens in my collection (a wonderful birthday present from my wonderful wife Julianna); over the three years since I've added the aforementioned 100mm macro, a 70-300mm and an 11-16mm to my lens kit. The lens used here did a fine job . . .

I have relatively little practice photographing insects; in terms of sharpness and magnification my current body of work in this theme doesn't stand up to many, many images I've seen taken by those who clearly have made a well-honed specialty of the genre. I deeply admire such work, for I realize the incredible technical skills required, to say nothing of the limitless patience and trained eye required to pull it all together.

Even so, I'm pleased with this offering for the mood it sets: a sense of tranquil warmth seems to exude from the atmosphere, and to whatever extent critters of this sort have awareness I should think this entity is enjoying the moment.



Hopper, #1138

© 2011 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: October 16, 2008; Canon 20D; f/7.1 @ 1/160 sec; —2/3 EV; ISO 200; Canon EF-S f/4-5.6 IS 17-85mm @ 85mm

________

Visit my full photographic repository at jwmurray.smugmug.com

________

3 comments:

  1. Morning meditation.

    Very cool picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anoymous! And since you've mentioned the "M" word, I am going to prepare myself to do the same shortly. Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice capture. You managed to get its full length. I have one suggestion. Get closer and focus on only one part of the insect rather than taking it for complete lenght. For example here it could have been head. It might be difficult but just try probably you will love the result.

    ReplyDelete