Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Seeing 2011 (#156)

For your consideration: an example of one of the many reasons I'm glad I won the Earth's Species lotto . . .

This past Saturday my beautiful wife and I attended an event in Mill Valley; she sat indoors and absorbed much wisdom and good humor from Michael Meade . . . on my way in to join her, a camera in hand (de rigueur for me) my optic nerves were at once assaulted and captivated (only metaphorically thankfully) by a series of magnificent webs and their astounding engineer/architects.

Being armed with my f/2.8 maco in lovely but low-light conditions, I just had to try . . .

As with virtually everything on this globe of ours, this subject category has been recorded on film and pixel times beyond count, yet the technical challenges posed by the macro's extremely thin depth-of-field, the potentially skittishness of the "sitter", and the additional factor of unpredictable and nearly constant movement from wafting breezes demanded the challenge be taken.

Out of perhaps 120 shots taken over the period of 45 minutes or so, six or seven were within tolerable consideration for post-processing. Thus, one of the few . . .

(By the way, I did get to hear some of Mr. Meade's fascinating talk.)



Brown Orb Spider (Butterfly Stroke), #2829-7D

© 2011 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: October 15, 2011; Canon 7D; f/8 @ 1/400 sec; —1 1/3 EV; ISO 1250; Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

________

Visit my full photographic repository at jwmurray.smugmug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment