Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Seeing 2012 (#82)

For your consideration:  a small surprise, for me at least, and possibly for you too, dear viewer . . .

In my case the revelation came when I was being dropped off from a ride with a friend:  as I exited the car my eye happened to catch this quite small, delicate organic structure huddled hard against the curb in front of my housing complex. Given that I was in my normal state of hurried discombobulation, trying to simultaneously check to make sure I wasn't leaving anything behind whilst fishing for my keys, it was a minor miracle to spot this treasure at all.

In fact, I nearly dismissed it in my haste . . . yet some artistic synapse ordered an immediate halt to my trajectory.  Perhaps I was moved by the fragility of this disconnected bit of life cast into the caustic environment of a city street . . . whatever compelled me, I stopped in my tracks long enough to delicately retrieve this subject, and carried it to the quiet safety of my abode.

Of course photographing it immediately was the only option; being cast off from its mother plant doomed it to a much shortened vibrant lifespan.  Thus the tasks at hand:  find my Third Hand tool, set up the tripod, grab the macro lens . . . position the subject . . . determine optimum exposure settings (low ISO for fineness - allowing small aperture for greater depth of field focus [thus the tripod]) . . .

Take some shots, adjust f/stop, recheck focus, framing . . . more shots . . . change subject's "pose" . . . repeat . . . repeat . . .  ah yes, that's better . . . you're looking beautiful kid, now try this . . . now that . . . very coöperative model!  I appreciate it!  Thank you for your time, it's been great!

And now for your surprise, gentle reader:  this image was created outdoors in direct late-afternoon sunlight —with the additional aid of my flash (held off-camera).

Yes, indeed:  I do love having fun with photons!


Twisted, #8228-7D

© 2012 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: May 26, 2012; Canon 7D; f/26 @ 1/166 sec; – 1 1/3 EV; ISO 250;
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

________


Visit my full photographic repository at jwmurray.smugmug.com

No comments:

Post a Comment