Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#42)

Two views of my office, which is the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Library on the campus of San Jose State University.

Both were taken well before opening, both between 6:01am and 6:22am.
I had taken my wife Julianna to the airport for an early flight last week, and planned ahead for the opportunity to capture this structure while it was still dark enough to see the glow of the interior lights even as the sky began to take on color. In the earlier scene a bicyclist decided to ride right through my scene just as I tripped the shutter for a long (8 seconds) exposure even though, with my tripod and camera bag, it must've been clear what I was doing . . . but my annoyance with the intrusion quickly turned to delight as I previewed the effect of his taillight blinking along behind him.

My grandfather revered books and reading, and I am quite fortunate that he passed this passion down to me . . . thus having the privilege to report to work in this spacious (>475,000 sq. ft.), modern and beautiful structure -- filled with books as well as a large variety of other media and art -- is a daily pleasure deeply felt. I strive to arrive between 30-45 minutes early, before most staff are in (and while still closed to the public) in order to find a quiet spot on the upper floors and sit for some meditation and reflection. A wonderful way, and place, to start one's day.

(NOTE: beginning with this entry the images I am posting to this blog will open to larger sizes than before, adhering approximately to the 1024x768 format . . . the top entry here is sized thusly, although I processed the lower image two nights ago in the smaller 800x600 size I have heretofore been employing.)

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Library, Early Morning, #4006

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: July 14, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/3 sec; -1 1/3 EV; ISO 100; 27mm.
__________


Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Library, Early Morning, and Bicyclist, #3997

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: July 14, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 8 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 28mm.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment