Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#98)

Excuse the absence -- tonight's offering hints at the state of my emotional interior since returning from Arizona.

The scene here is the tunnel at the junction of Highway 92 and I-280, and is another selection from the series of images I recorded during my ride home from an evening in San Francisco.

A case study in the power of life experiences to inform one's art . . . but with a surreal twist: taken a fortnight before I was faced with the task of having my mother removed from life support, this photograph acutely presages the delayed grief which seems to be where I'm headed in the wake of her passing.

For the past few days now my emotions have seemed to be encapsulated in a vehicle rushing towards the unknown -- I'm not sure who's driving and the route is unfamiliar. Usually simple matters are not necessarily so . . . I missed a much anticipated breakfast with a dear friend a few days ago which brought on considerable distress; the ensuing days have been rife with inflamed psychic nerves close to the surface.

This submission suggests a coördinated amalgamation of chaotic velocity, considerable energy and an ever changing trajectory, a certain route towards darkness. Even so, the future is not quite so pessimistic: guiding lights are present on all sides, and all tunnels eventually end with an emergence into fresh air. As I embark on the spiritual and emotional journey which is mine to experience in the coming days, weeks and months (who knows how long?), I draw comfort and strength knowing I'm surrounding by wise, compassionate, and loving family and friends.



Into The Tunnel/Impending Unknowns, #5253

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: October 22, 2009; Canon 20D; f/5.0 @ 1/3 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 400; 33mm.

__________


No comments:

Post a Comment