Friday, January 15, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#8)

A scene from the archives . . .

Prior to 1994 I had traveled relatively little -- I'd only been east of Arizona once, an interminably long summer vacation in Texas in 1972, and the extent of my other excursions were confined to the Pacific coast States and Hawaii.

This myopic geographical exposure changed when I joined a software company and began globe trotting as a database designer. Between 1994 and 2001 I was sent on several lengthy visits to various western European nations (including living in England for a time), took a six-week excursion through a slew of Asian Pacific rim countries from Singapore to South Korea, and set foot in about half of the States.

These were tremendously personally enriching experiences. They also took place during the closing years of the traditional film era. During those days the vast of majority of my photographic work was in the realm of color slide film. Consequently I toted my heavy but wonderfully rugged Nikon F2 and an array of lenses with me on most business trips, and was able to amass a modest body of imagery on transparencies. (My first love is black-and-white photography. After graduation from college in 1984 I rarely had access to a darkroom, however, and I find appalling even the thought of having someone else process and print from my negatives, thus I turned towards color work as a means to keep my "photographic eye" active. )

A couple of years ago my dearest Julianna gave me, for my birthday, a dedicated slide scanner. As she has also been incalculably helpful and encouraging of my transition from traditional film to the digital medium I've not devoted as much time as perhaps I ought producing images from my transparencies.

Here, for your esteemed consideration, is one. Since film does not provide the luxury of digital EXIF data, nor did I but very rarely keep exposure logs when shooting film, I cannot provide information as to date, lens, emulsion (certainly either Kodak Ektachrome or Fuji Velvia) or exposure settings. Of course, such arcane specifications should be but remotely relevant to the purpose of an image . . .



Untitled, c. 1997

(c)2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

__________

No comments:

Post a Comment