Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#4)

This past weekend I was absolutely delighted to trek down to the St. Francis Retreat Center in the foothills above San Juan Bautista, CA, in order visit my beloved friend Louise. She was making her annual visit from Michigan. Originally natives of the Netherlands, she and her late husband John resided on the retreat center's grounds for nearly three years (c. 2002 - 2005) and were unfailingly warm, generous, and kind to me during my many trips to the compound.

Once they surprised me by inviting to come and stay the weekend, at their expense, so that I could relax, commune and photograph to my heart's content (click here for some of the resulting images); I was privileged to be housed in a quaint and lovely residence normally (at that time) reserved for visiting clergy, the Casa Berando. I have fond memories of that stay, and the fact that Louise happened to have been residing in Casa Berando this month made my time with her all the more special.

The image below is one of the best of about 50 I took during a three-hour chat.

My deepest appreciation goes out to my friend and fellow photographic artist Jerry Berkstresser: he is directly responsible for two vital factors in making this photograph possible: he loaned me his tripod a few months ago, the use of which inspired to finally purchase my own professional grade Manfrotto model; and his suggestion of a radio remote control (arising from the need to keep my camera still for lengthy night exposures) enabled me to carry on an extended and entirely normal conversation with my subject (Louise) while sitting at some modest distance from the photographic apparatus . . . this permitted me to capture much more candid and relaxed images of her than would be impossible were I constantly huddled behind the camera with my face glued to the viewfinder, with the attendant uncomfortable intensity such activity imposes upon the subject.

Details: Canon 20D, f/6.3, 1/60 sec, 41mm, ISO 400, EV -2/3, RAW mode, flash w/ natural lighting. (Click on the image for full-sized view.)



Louise Brauns, Casa Berando, March 15, 2009

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment