Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#22)

Sunday, Mother's Day, brought with it an unexpected development: a family friend's daughter went into labor, in advance of giving birth to her first child. Thus my wife and I trekked "over the Hill" to Dominican Hospital, in Soquel, CA, to be on hand for the miracle of another being's entrance onto this mortal coil.

As it happened I had left my primary camera in my office, so I grabbed my original digital camera, a Canon G2 4-megapixel viewfinder model. Despite the primary limitation of producing unacceptably noisy results above an ISO of 50 (!), I've taken some remarkably sharp and fine images with this instrument.

The mommy-to-be did not make much progress during our several hour visit, so I excused myself to the chapel, which I had utterly to myself for the entirety of the sixty minutes or so I spent there. During that time I indulged in a 30-minute silent meditation sitting, in between also taking a number of interior images of the space. Below is one of the better results.

I've long been admired and enjoyed religious art and temples of all kinds, whether Christian, Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist . . . in this perpsective the stark, concrete space seemed to me a perfect symbol of the hell in which we all too often encase ourselves while visiting this planet, with the stark blue holding a promise of freedom by means of transcending self-imposed prisons.



The Here and Hereafter (Chapel #8968)


(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: May 10, 2009; Canon G2; f/2.2 @ 1/30 sec; ISO 50; 7mm.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment