Thursday, May 14, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#23)

Long ago, on a foggy winter afternoon at a rest stop just south of San Francisco, I stopped to stretch my legs and discovered a rather severe (or so it seemed to me) statue of Father Serra. This was long before digital cameras existed; I likely used my Minolta XE-7 to take the b&w 35mm image that day. I lay completely on my back, looking directly up at the priest looming overhead, arm outstretched with that j'accuse finger . . . The sky was dark and roiling with a mix of fog and clouds, and I was quite pleased with the turbulent mood I captured that day.

Fast forward at least 15 or years and we ge to today's submission . . . I finally revisited Father, about two years ago. This time around the weather was perfect by most standards -- yet the lack of fog at least sharply mitigated by desire to replicate the ominous atmospherics of my original 35mm negative. Nor, due to a fence, could I still cozy right up to Father's skirt before taking my photo . . .

Even so, here's my semi-modern update on the scene. (By the way: preliminary attempts to upload this particular image are yielding extremely poor quality pseudo-thumbnail images . . . there are significant and unacceptably pronouced artifacts in in the sky. Perhaps the one you see posted here after I write this will be okay . . . if not expect me to pull this from my blog until I can figure out what is going wrong . . .

My apologies: image pulled until I can determine why this particular upload was of such poor quality.

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)
Align Center
Details: August 25, 2008; Canon 20D; f/10 @ 1/200 sec; ISO 100; 24mm.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment