Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#33)

Father is featured again . . . perhaps it's because Father's Day approaches.

This image was taken on the streets of downtown Oakland, California; we were passing a storefront bathed in warm, brilliant late afternoon light. The whitewashed walls of the building were monolithic, a large space broken only by the thin slices of a set of faded white blinds hanging in a window.

The monochromatic possibilities of this scene unfolded before me quite quickly; to get the angle I wanted I had to subtly drop off of our walking pace. This allowed me to juxtapose the thin swirling lines of my father's hair against the high ordered symmetry of the shades. I had to point and focus hurriedly, and hoped for the best . . .

I offer this image as a study in contrast to the prior entry's photograph. That effort features a pose deliberately set up to convey power and confidence set against a (subtly) moody sky. While not youthful, a sense of strength and a clear, limitless vision is present.

A much different scene is offered in the current entry: frailty and age emerges from the chaotic stark white hair and heavily sloping shoulders; the dark monolithic form of the jacket suggests the weight of time's passage. The slats in the background mimic prison bars and create a claustrophobic realm of negative space . . . in stark opposition to Entry #32's optimistically heavenward view, here the way ahead seems blind indeed.

(For the record, I'm pleased to report that my father was in jaunty spirits and no where near death's door; rather we were enjoying a lovely time aimlessly exploring, sharing rare time together in anticipation of my brother Eric's wedding the next day.)


James Houston Murray, May 30, 2009

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: May 30, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/125 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 85mm.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment