Friday, September 11, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#72)

(My apologies: an inadvertent keystroke may have caused subscribers to receive an erroneous post earlier.)

Two offerings, both from the wonderful visit my wife and I made to Cambria, last weekend.

The first was taken whilst I had perhaps a bit too much idle time on my hands - I was waiting outside while my beloved was scouring a store for trinkets and baubles - the texture and color of the side of a building, freshly painted, caught my eye. A key factor was the sharp patterns and shadows created by a brilliant sun hanging nearly directly overhead, contrasted with the splash of white.

The second image was taken in late afternoon at nearby Moonstone Beach. Acutely-angled sunlight is used to reveal complex and subtle contours in the sand, as well as to create nicely pronounced shadows. The scene reminds me of an arriving visitor from an alien world, creating shock waves in the wake of its impending landing.

* * *


Abstract Green and White, #4552

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: September 5, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/400 sec; -1 1/3 EV; ISO 100; 52mm.
__________




Cambrian Visitor, #4621

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: September 5, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/160 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 200; 55mm.
__________


2 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating how universally recognizable bird excrement apparently is . . . every person who's viewed this image immediately identifies that feature . . . and getting a reaction is of course my goal!

    ReplyDelete