Thursday, October 15, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#84)

On the way home from last weekend's escape to the foothills I took a short diversion in order to explore a long-abandoned rail station (of sorts). Wandering around the collection of utterly derelict structures, which were severely marred by a mixture of weather and graffiti, yielded a deep nostalgia for when I first began my photographic pursuits in earnest, c. 1975.

In those halcyon days I was in high school in the small, isolated desert town of Clifton Arizona. I spent considerable solitary time investigating shuttered, empty buildings in what passed for downtown, as well as the crumbling remnants of the original copper mine smelter site located on the fringes of town. Those early exposures to the pervasive sense of an oddly lost history latent within the discarded and crumbling detritus set the tone for my lifelong attraction to the photogenic possibilities inherent in items and structures discarded as useless . . . and I derive considerable pleasure transforming them into unexpected objets d'art.

An alternative title I considered for this submission: A Wrinkle In Time.



Abstract in Blue and Yellow, #5037

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: October 11, 2009 ; Canon 20D; f/5.6 @ 1/800 sec; -1/3 EV; ISO 200; 55mm.

__________

4 comments:

  1. My highschool colors were blue and gold. Although I always thought that blue and yellow were more accurate. And if the local is just south of Gilroy, if always been drawn towards an investigatory stop, although I've never "taken the time" to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My high school colors where blue & gold also (Santa Clara High). I especially like this picture, it reminds me that the past (the blue) can never be forgotten, no matter how often you 'paint' over it (the gold).

    I really like this one James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vaejovidae -- excellent eye to correctly tag the specific location of this image! Eerie, really: the earth's surface is rather large, and oceans notwithstanding this photograph depicts a fractionally small portion of the abandoned property you recognize. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with your observation about the past, itsmecissy, although as I age I have frequent blank spots of what did yesterday . . . (but oh how those memories of decades past can persist!).

    ReplyDelete