Friday, October 23, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#91)

For your consideration: an extemporaneous study in geometry, motion and electric atmospherics.

Earlier this evening I had the great pleasure of joining friends for a journey north, to San Francisco's SF MoMA, to view the current Richard Avedon installation. We embarked on our jaunt later than planned, thus we had but very limited time to survey this amazing body of work. Even so, it was an extremely impressive, and surprisingly (to me) nuanced exhibit. Fortunately it will be on display through November 29, 2009; I intend to return with Julianna for a more leisurely and considered absorption of Mr Avedon's vision.

Not only was there too little time to give the show its due, but it was also unfortunate that tomorrow is a work day: this evening's weather in San Francisco was absolutely perfect - clear, temperate and without any hint of wind. It would've been wonderful to linger late into the night, simply wandering the streets; as I (alone) had my camera I secretly yearned to seek out promontories from which to photograph various aspects of the city's skyline. Hmm . . . perhaps a solo return visit tomorrow night?

No matter. Being quite pleased with some of the driving rain imagery I took earlier this week -- and having awakened a long suppressed desire to explore the depiction of motion in my work -- I put my camera to good use during the ride home this evening. In contrast to the storm shots, haphazardly taken while driving, tonight I had the luxury of riding in the passenger seat and thus was able to deliberately compose and concentrate strictly on the potential photogenic aspects of the swiftly unfolding scenery streaming past the car windows. I am pleased with several of the results, the first of which I offer here.



Abstract (Triangulation Impact), #5279

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: October 22, 2009; Canon 20D; f/10 @ 4 secs; -2/3 EV; ISO 400; 27mm.

__________


2 comments:

  1. Hey James -- I caught up. I like this image, but I found it unsettling as a desktop background.

    I decided to use your Luxor Palm as my background for now. The image makes me feel small and insignificant, which has a calming effect for some reason -- John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, John, for taking the time to comment.

    It it a high complement to have you select one of my images for your desktop.

    I do understand the peace which comes from the realization that the universe is much larger than the concerns of our limited vision; I can become too caught up in my perceptions of situations and scenarios, and resetting my perspective always brings relief.

    ReplyDelete