Monday, January 18, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#10)

For your consideration: a return to the Drive-by Shootings theme.

This construction was taken during the drive back from a daylong visit to Spirit Rock with my close friend Brad. His generous offer to be the chauffeur for our journey allowed me, as passenger, to take forty-one shots over the course of about an hour. I promised him I'd use one of the resulting photographs in my next post, so that he'd have the pleasure of an "I was there" moment. (My idea, not his!)

This thematic experimentation is bringing me a tremendous amount of pleasure, as each image is by definition both utterly unique and unreproducible -- perfect examples of dualities of apparently frozen singularities in time coexistent with the implication of Impermanence. The resulting tableaux project potent displays of motion, yet are themselves static: a subtle inversion of the reality at hand.

The consequent abstractions lend themselves to almost limitless interpretations. For me this particular composition recalls the playful and mystical writings on quantum physics discussed in a book I read many years ago.



Dancing Wu Li Masters, #6061

(c)2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: January 16, 2010; Canon 20D; f/8 @ 5 secs; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 52mm.

__________


No comments:

Post a Comment