Saturday, January 16, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#9)

This submission is one I've been eager to post for several years . . .

The setting depicted is that of the Tucson Mountains, as seen from the Saguaro National Park (East).

As I wrote in my prior entry, my wife's deep generosity has afforded me the luxury of a slide scanner; this entry is the result of (finally!) producing a digital version of a transparency which is one of my all time favorite personal images.

Taken circa 1982, it is remarkable that I still retain the clear memory of shooting this scene, in the company of my dear friends Jonathan and Debra Altman and my cousin Jim McGill. One slightly unusual aspect of the event was the location: the Saguaro National Park is actually two sites (East and West), separated by 30 miles, and while as a group we made innumerable visits to the West district (which is on the back side of the mountains in this image) trekking through the East park was a relatively rare event.

Although I lack specific exposure data, of these details I am confident: the camera was a Minolta XE-7, a joy to use; the lens was a Rokkor-X 135mm f/2.8, and the film was Kodak Ecktachrome.

This transparency was #9 of one hundred twenty-one which I displayed (projected) during the first ever formal exhibition of my work, a show I titled Transparent Thoughts and which was graciously hosted by Paul and Maria Suni in their home in Los Gatos, California, on December 31, 1996. I've waited a long time for the opportune moment to share this vision with a much larger audience . . .

Octotillo Sun

(c)2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

__________



No comments:

Post a Comment