Saturday, January 9, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#4)

Tonight's submission: perhaps a bit more "mainstream."

A close friend and artistic critic of this blog, regarding the prior post, opined, "Hmmm, [I] ought to find some new material." A semi-kind way of stating, "What were you thinking?" and "That image is not very good."
As we all tend to have attachments to our own creations (especially true for the narcissistic, sensitive artist types such as yours truly) such feedback can sting a bit . . . and true confession, it did. Still, the truth be known, at the time I posted Abstract (Jovian Dreams), #5469 even though I too was dissatisfied with the image and really debated whether or not I should have put it up for viewing. It suffers from over processing, if nothing else. (The subject matter's relevance and capacity to evoke responses will naturally vary for each viewer. Yet, let's face it: when even the artist questions the efficacy and authenticity of his own piece -- as I did -- well, it would've been better to defer. We can all agree it was not my best effort.)

Combined with having trudged through some particularly difficult times in recent days, this last dubious effort left me feeling a bit hesitant and cautious about posting anew. Then I perused a slew of photography magazines recently, and was once again reminded of the vast variety of work considered by others worthy of publication; there was material both amazing and in the "huh?" domain from my perspective.

Thus my confidence in my own vision was buttressed, and despite having the worst day in many months today (featuring, among other things, the experience of having my car vandalized and my beloved tripod and related equipment stolen) . . I'm baaaaaaack.

For your consideration, then, a peaceful scene from the heart of a small valley through which I travel when en route to my parents' home in California's wine country. My wife graciously put up with an interruption of the drive long enough for me to hop out of our vehicle to take a few shots in the rapidly fading and changing light. It was very nearly dark, and had we been just five minutes later to this venue it would've been too late.

(Fear not: abstracts and other oddities will return to future posts soon!)


Pope Valley Dusk, #5842

(c)2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: December 24, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/100 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 200; 22mm.

__________



No comments:

Post a Comment