Thursday, June 24, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#89)

For your consideration: two images selected specifically for a day which not so long ago I would've never thought possible -- my last staff meeting as a member of the excellent IT group which so adeptly serves the San José State University's main library. A very, very sad event, indeed. (I do, however, fully intend to return to this group, and sooner than later . . . )

Thanks to the gracious good humor of my fellow team members, a tradition has developed to end the weekly Monday morning work reviews with a visit to this blog. It is projected onto a large wall, allowing my peers to peer at the odd and eclectic photographs and commentary which spring (and sometimes ooze) forth from my oeuvre.

Thus: for the first offering, a view of the "University" entrance to the crown-jewel structure of the campus (my "office of 470,000 square feet," as I have frequently described it to family and friends). This was taken early in the morning on the first official day of Summer, 2010.

The second selection is from the Gates Pass area west of my hometown of Tucson; it depicts a battered yet still standing saguaro cactus (pronounced "sa-WAR-oh"). As it represents the eponymous symbol of this photography blog -- and being a survivor of obviously challenging times --- I feel this entry to be acutely apropos for this final curtain on our last group gathering in its current composition: a clutch of exceptional and hugely successful people.

Although we will continue to see one another frequently, I shall deeply miss the particular chemistry, growth, enjoyment and wonderful conversations I've been honored to share with you all since December 3, 2008. Thanks to your trust, mentoring, respect and encouragement I've had the job of my life. I can never adequately express my gratitude.

(Oh: I've been promised that the remaining skeleton crew of the MLK IT staff will continue the Monday-with-James' Blog Tradition . . . have no fear: I'll be calling for personal critiques Monday afternoons!)

* * *


Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Library, #8948

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: June 21, 2010; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/400 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 200; 18mm.

__________



Saguaro, #8572

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: December 5, 2007; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/200 sec; ±0 EV; ISO 400; 44mm.

__________


No comments:

Post a Comment