Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#90)

For your consideration: a pair of scenes to be found at the building I've come to cherish, my workplace since December 3, 2008 . . . a posting of sorts which has become the most rewarding and enjoyable tenure of my career.

Alas, today will be my last as a library staff member; tomorrow I shall report to my next venue a few buildings and a universe away.

Someone's notion of a good budget decision (odd, as my salary follows me) is the force majeure propelling my relocation. I depart with considerable grief over the loss of daily interactions with quite a few of my peers who've become good friends, as well as a sense that a vast array of yet-to-be explored opportunities and challenges remain unfulfilled -- aborted.

The past few days in particular have become surreal and unexpectedly difficult; I have been walking in a twilight zone of simultaneously relishing and feeling the loss of final walks down favorite corridors, visits to some of the myriad nooks and crannies and other favorite, private haunts throughout my daily rounds. The worst of it has been making terms with the impending finality of losing virtually unfettered access to this wonderful structure and its denizens.

So, the dreaded day has arrived (or will when I get out of bed). Thursday a new adventure begins -- one which may well turn out to be spectacularly rewarding. Time will tell. In the meantime, this entry and a few to come are offered in homage to the sweetest environment of my work history.

Au revoir, mes amis
. À bientôt, j'espère.

* * *


Lobby, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., #8809

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: June 14, 2010; Canon 20D; f/5.6 @ 1/50 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 17mm.

__________



Tree of Knowledge, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., #8559

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: June 7, 2010; Canon 20D; f/5.6 @ 1/200 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 400; 100mm.

__________


5 comments:

  1. "Soyez bien, effectuez le bon travail, et restez en contact mon ami."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful prose James. You are a real wordsmith! I dearly hope you recognize your own talent in both photography and writing and consider publishing a photography book someday.

    Love the tree shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While dis-proportionally represented, this Tree of Knowledge reflects that area of one's mind which is ever present, yet often remains untouched and under-utilized. Only upon a moment's pause does one catch a glimpse of the abundant treasures its many branches hold for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for helping us see the beauty of our workplace. À bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for helping us see the beauty of our workplace. À bientôt.

    ReplyDelete