Friday, July 2, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#92)

For your consideration: a tableau evocative of mystery, serenity, hope and abundance.

I selected this image as a paean to having survived the first day of transition from my cherished library position to my new space in the Center for Faculty Development.

Walking past the glimmering MLK library and entering my new world in the IRC building early this morning was not quite as strange as I anticipated it might be . . .

Upon arriving I immediately sat down for what turned into a ninety-minute meeting with my new manager; it was a easy and wide-ranging conversation and, I'm certain, a mutual initial exploration of one another's chemistry, attitudes and perspectives. In due course I was introduced to most of my fellow department members. Sorting out names and faces will be among my first challenges. I was delighted to learn that my IT support will come from Jason, who graciously worked with me on my last significant technical project (video streaming) prior to my reassignment.

By the end of the day I'd managed to get myself locked out the building -- good: got that experience out of the way quickly -- and of course got little of real substance accomplished beyond installing an application on an iMac (among my first Apple software experiences). As I closed up I left knowing that I've stepped into a vast, new terrain, have a tremendous amount to learn, and am in for quite an adventure.

Thus, this photograph: after many weeks of uncertainty about my fate, I've finally been given some clarity and have taken my first step into the new pool.



Pool, Hearst Castle, #4541

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: September 5, 2009; Canon 20D; f/9 @ 1/125 sec; -1 1/3 EV; ISO 800; 46mm.

__________

5 comments:

  1. LOVE Hearst Castle and I've always wanted to swim in the big Roman/Grecian outdoor pool. That would be a dream come true.

    Glad to hear you're feeling a little better about your reassignment too.

    Have a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I've always wanted to jump into this pool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey James,

    Sorry I missed you on your last day. Thanks for leaving your card.

    I'm glad your first day at you new position worked out well. By the way, great photo!

    First of all it's a beautiful location but then the way you took the photo with the shadowing and the sunlight coming in through the windows - great shot.


    I hope your new job experience continues to go well.

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina and Danny -- thanks for your terrific support during my stint at MLK . . . someday, someway I'll be back! Meanwhile keep checking in here . . . it is always great to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pool, Hearst Castle, #4541

    Well, I should preface this by saying that I'm the closest thing there is to a blue addict.

    This piece lends a feeling of absolute tranquility- A sort of a cross between a Moorish contemplation of form and angle, and the deep quiet of a limestone cavern.

    The light values are used to amazingly good effect, creating \a somber foreground, which practically chases the eye to seek the light, the core of the shot. There is a sense of viewing an altar, a place of contemplation, a bright core of meaning, glowing in the dark.

    ReplyDelete