Thursday, July 1, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#91)

For your consideration: scenes representing Impermanence, the endless cycle of deterioration and regeneration, of clarity and the unknown.

Today brought the close of my splendid, thoroughly fulfilling and appallingly brief stint at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., library.

I had planned to pack up quickly (I was taught long ago to avoid premature packing -- once that task begins we've already left) so as to have a modest portion of my closing curtain devoted to visiting my friends and colleagues for a bit of closure. 'Twas not to be: far too many interruptions combined by an inordinate amount of office materiel to sort though prevented much in the way of making adieus. In fact, I departed the glass palace in haste, having worked in a just-barely-coherent, frantic fashion to tie off all loose ends, backup and preserve crucial data, and make not-quite-life-and-death decisions about what to keep (just to name a brief few items) vs. what to leave behind for documentation (and posterity).

I had far too little time to adequately offer my continued devotion to the success of those beloved souls I'm being forced to leave behind. An appointment at home compelled a brisk walk to my car at the close of the day -- and it is likely a good deal that I did not have time for nostalgic glances over my shoulder as I hastened away. Even so, I was acutely aware of the unfathomable contrast in the feelings of joy and anxiety-tinged hope I held during my first day's walk into work more than eighteen months ago versus the senseless experiences of sorrow, emptiness and sour finality which have been too frequent .

Yet, of course the new path I'm on the brink of exploring undoubtedly holds treasures and unexpected pleasures to come. Right Thought, Right Action . . .

And so we come to these two submissions: the first echoing my heart's ache, with the beautiful moon near the close of its arc across the sky -- the sunset, then the day's close over this beautiful institution just as I too must adhere the orbit assigned me, a trajectory sweeps me out of a wonderfully nurturing environment.

The second photograph is posted as a reminder that after the dawn a plethora of new wonders are awaiting illumination and discovery. I do believe I'll be blessed with at least of few treasures during the course of this new journey. Just as in the photograph, my mental landscape features a few dark clouds, yet even they possess interesting structures and only just obscure lovely skies beyond . . . and underneath it all the world is still rich and green with fresh living to be done.

The days to come are guaranteed to be interesting . . .

* * *


Moon over the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, #8420

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: June 4, 2010; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/200 sec; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 100mm.

__________



San Benito County, Early Morning, #6994

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: March 30, 2010; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1/125 sec; +1 EV; ISO 400; 28mm.

__________


No comments:

Post a Comment