Friday, September 3, 2010

Seeing 2010 (#126)

For your consideration: a pair of images speaking to the universal notions of serenity, acceptance, grace, lovingkindness, faith, life, hope . . .

Much of my own trajectory through this human experience has been laden with chaos, turmoil, fear, doubt, and frustration -- conditions arising from both external circumstance and (too frequently) self-imposed resistance to, and rejection of, Reality. For quite some time now, however, I've been traveling a path which has taken me from those spiritually arid deserts, and towards oases of calm, soothing relief, contentment, and even moments of quiet bliss.

Even so, not so very long ago -- a couple of years -- I found myself discontented -- disappointed, really -- at my perceived lack of progress: I felt I was significantly short of where I ought to have been on this journey, given the time and effort I'd invested in my own growth. Thus I took a personal inventory on the matter, and spoke to (and surveyed the attitudes and practices of) several close companions who I admire and respect for their maturity and wisdom.

All of these confidants shared a common trait: meditation as a significant facet of their daily routine. Tentatively, with a perhaps expected inconsistency at first, I began to investigate this mysterious activity myself, by means of readings, casual inquiries as to techniques, and (eventually) attending semi-formal meditation gatherings. And Lo!, I am now able to report from intimate, personal experience that this quiet (well, externally at least), restful, and surprisingly demanding practice yields internal growth both sublime and deeply healing. I've come to treasure it as the most important activity (ironic term) of my day.

In this vein I submit two photographs.

The first, in my brother Eric's bathroom (yes, I am prone to taking my camera everywhere!), was taken in 2006, just on the cusp of the period when I began to consider upping the ante on my emotional and spiritual conditioning. I vividly remember shooting the second image; although the specific date (year) eludes me this photograph demarcates the nascent stages of my adventure towards some dim semblance of enlightenment. Thus combined these scenes are deeply personal revelations of the depth and breadth of my (still barely evolved) awakening to date.

÷÷÷÷÷

A final note to this lengthy entry . . . I prepped the Buddha scene last night; I'd been thinking about this particular photograph for a few weeks. On campus today, during a brief lunchtime stroll when I was thinking about posting the Red Stone Buddha this evening, I came across a rather jarring scene: arranged around the perimeter of the campus chapel were garish signs inviting one and all enter for free food, and to join the crusade. While no specific divinity was mentioned, the message was, it seems to me, provocative and potentially inflammatory in these troubled times. Pick your term: crusade, jihad, intifada . . . none remotely convey any sense of compassion, tolerance, or understanding -- essential, key virtues extolled universally by all historically significant (and broadly revered) spiritual leaders, past and present. Odd, and sad, to see this divisiveness today.

All of which lead me to reflect, as I was composing this entry: a friend of mine, Dan Shields, passed away last week (far too young); another close friend has just received a cancer diagnosis; another just emerged from serious surgery; a very dear friend's father-in-law is in extremely poor health (heart and cancer), while my wife's parents are struggling ever more with the inescapable process of aging as well. One work colleague's mother just died, and another's recently had an unexpected health set-back which left her deeply traumatized. Life is often difficult -- for everyone.

Therefore I offer this art in the spirit of conveying perhaps a bit of a respite -- an antidote -- from all those things which challenge us all during our time of living. May these scenes bring to you, dear viewer, a few moments of peace, contentment, gratitude, an appreciation for the splendid diversity of peoples and cultures no matter your own persuasion . . . and even, if you dare, a real awareness of the possibility of ebullience -- a joie de vivre -- as you trudge the road of Happy Destiny.

* * *



Red Stone Buddha (Sangha), #7098

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: April 30, 2006; Canon 20D; f/6.3 @ 1/80; —1/3 EV; ISO 400; 30mm.

__________



Praying Hands, The Camp, Scotts Valley, CA

© 2010 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: circa 1990-92; color transparency (scanned), exposure data unknown; Nikon F2 ; Nikkor 135mm.

__________


No comments:

Post a Comment