Thursday, March 12, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#2)

As it is rather late (what's new?) I'll likely keep this initial commentary short, to be expanded possibly tomorrow evening.

Before I begin, I'll unabashedly call for commentary (if any is merited) to be posted directly to this blog . . . as of this date (3/11/09) not a soul has offered accolades nor rebuttals, so here's your unique chance to be the first. Or not.

A modest pair of offerings in this posting (clicking on the images opens larger versions):

The first was taken in my office 24 February, in natural lighting (the afternoon sun intensely bathes my desk with light both invigorating and blinding). What have we here? As is the case for much of my work I'll leave it to the viewer to puzzle over; I hope the exercise brings some enjoyment from the mystery.

This happens to be one of several views I took of a "found object"; look for another angle in the next day or two. Here I've enhanced the contrast a bit; frankly I'm not all that satisfied with the overall contrast (and Zone System adherents hold your tongues). I toyed at length with Photoshop Blend layers and eventually tossed those experiments and will live with the Levels results applied.

The title refers to Plato's notion of Forms, one of the very few bits of philosophy I have exposed myself to over the years.


Evoking the Lincoln Memorial (block #2233)

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.
__________

I am blessed to work at a location which allows me to take my lunch on a quite flexible schedule, and I'm only now beginning to explore the vicinity of my building. After last week's rain-swept days I was especially enthusiastic about "bring my camera to work" day (a self-appointed occasion) , specifically to get some fresh air, physical and possibly artist exercise as a lunch hour gift to myself.

Thus the next image was taken just two days ago while I wandered the streets on the way to whatever food choice appeared appealing -- I left my office without a specific place in mind so was doubly-rewarded with two discoveries: a great pizza place and what might be considered the latest entry into my "Leaf" series. There were several similar, large trees on the street . . . and amongst that barren forest there were mere three leaves to be found, each soloist on their own spindly host.



Perseverance (leaf #2443)

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.
__________

3 comments:

  1. Evoking: Has me eyeing my cats with contempt. Though it's not the subject, it might also serve well to alleviate the disturbance of its prey.
    Perseverance: This I'd like to invert. As if somehow I might encourage the lone leaf to let go, surrender to the inevitable. In this instance, its purpose has seemingly been fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evoking the dissapation of excess generated heat.
    Perserverance demonstrated by reaching the top, only to fall off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far my favorite picture of yours is the solitary leaf. Exactly how I sometimes feel.

    Thanks for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete