Thursday, December 31, 2009

Seeing 2009 (#114)

Voilà! La fin de la décennie. Ce n'être pas possible, non?

The last posting of not only the year, but also for the decade . . . those were a quick ten years!

For your consideration then, two images in honor of of the holiday season, as it also draws to a close. Each of these photographs were taken at my parents' home near Kelseyville, CA, in the wee hours of the last night of my wife's and my Christmas visit, after all were in bed and not a creature was stirring . . .

The first offering is of an object which was involved in a briefly traumatic moment: after coming home for dinner the prior evening my brother Eric started to park his car exactly over patch of the Earth's surface where I intended to place my tripod in order to capture this wired entity; I asked my sibling if he would park elsewhere and in gladly complying he backed up and ran into a rather sturdy tree in the dark. No damage to the (fairly new) car, but the next evening I approached my subject with a bit of wariness, à la Rod Serling. My intent here is to present a somewhat abstract impression of what seems a bit surreal to me -- a skeletal representation of a traditionally friendly holiday decoration. Frosty here seems anything but, aglow as he is as if emanating light from invisible flames. The background lights suggest distant stars and a stellar arcing connection -- a trail of thought -- to what might be a Snowman's own impression of Santa (normally the alpha icon, here relegated to a secondary and diminutive status).

The second tableau - and the final photograph posting of this blog for 2009 -- was taken in the living room. During the five day visit my eyes were repeatedly drawn to the complex, strange and decidedly ominous shadows cast by the Christmas tree's angel . . . I was absolutely compelled to capture this contradictory aura, and I was quite struck by the incongruity of the notion of an accidental Dark Angel looking down upon us all. Throughout the family gathering this visage frequently loomed in my consciousness, as it directly contradicted the overt and reassuring brightly-glowing power and beauty of a different tree angel from my childhood.

This image profoundly reflects my fascination with the power of shadows -- forms representing a lack of substance -- to utterly alter an environment's mood, and to often reveal hidden complexities and perspectives derived from the source material at hand. A bit of Jekyll and Hyde may reside in us all -- even in an innocent angel it would appear.

* * *


Frosty Dreams, #5908

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: December 28, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 1.3 secs; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 45mm.

__________




Shadow Angel, #5931

(c)2009 James W. Murray, all rights reserved.

(click image for larger version)

Details: December 28, 2009; Canon 20D; f/11 @ 10 secs; -2/3 EV; ISO 100; 50mm.

__________
__________


As I wrap up my efforts to bring some of my photographic efforts out from under wraps for what I hope as been your pleasure and entertainment, I must thank each and all of you who have taken the time and given me the respect of your time by visiting these entries.

To those who have gone to the effort of commenting I am particularly grateful; every aspiring artist secretly (and not-so-secretly) lives with the duality of emotions - trepidation and eager hope - which attends the risk of actually presenting one's art to the public. Will my efforts be deemed worthy? Interesting, intriguing, perhaps even compelling upon occasion?

During this project I've been challenged to hone, refine and expand my artistic vision, to considerably raise my standards, and to take further risks with my oeuvre. Your presence -- your shared experience of my journey -- has immeasurably assisted a significant growing of the depth and breadth (and breath!) of my creative horizons, and for that I am appreciative beyond what words would adequately convey.

I would like to thank a few people specifically, who've make immeasurable contributions to the wonder of my photographic forays and expansion this year: Jerry Berkstresser, who has a terrific eye and challenges me to experiment more than I otherwise would do; Micah Jeffries, a student assistant in my office and an artist in his own right (ink/pen) . . . mentoring his photographic efforts has been a delight; the "V" posters and Brad Koch who give encouragement by their overt presence on this blog; Nino Y. who does not post here but who nonetheless sends rare but wonderful accolades via email . . .

And most of all my loving and sweet wife Julianna. Without her early and substantial funding of my digital equipment -- and her continuing and tremendous, beyond amazing support of my efforts through tolerating the immense amount of late night and weekend time I devote to my art -- I would not have been able to create any of the work I've been produced for the past five years at least.

÷÷÷÷÷

In life photography has brought me a joy and spiritual process beyond measure; the acts of visualizing and then creating something which in itself did not previously exist -- to contribute something new to this spectacular universe -- I find to be an endlessly wondrous experience. My goal is to present largely ubiquitous scenes and objects with a fresh perspective, in order to evoke a sense of mystery, a call for discovery and exploration, and ultimately to produce a direct emotional connection with the work. I hope, dear reader, that I've succeeded more often than not in this pursuit.

Finally, I relish what new discoveries I will be able to share with you in the 2010 postings here. Over the past several months I've taken far, far more photographs than I'll ever have time to properly preparefor posting, thus I've a significant inventory from which to draw already. (Yet of course I shall continue shooting, even later today I suspect!). As I alluded to a few posts back (#112), mannequins look to figure large in the space in the near future, as do several more images from my "nocturnal drive-by-shootings". I plan to acquire a new Macro lens soon, which should lead to a broad series of organic and inorganic abstractions. Portraits - candid and formal -- will also be making an appearance. Most exciting, of course, are those subjects, scenes and compositions I have yet to encounter or even envision . . .

It outta be fun in . . . stay tuned and watch this space!

Namaste,
James

2 comments:

  1. dowfisth
    Shadow Angel - Are those chicken feathers?! Sheer vodoo, visual black magic I say. Must shave the cat before the year is out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One artistic element that always fascinates me is how some things look different up close than they do from a distance. The 'snowman' in particular is designed to look different from a distance than it does up close. It contains its own illusions and its own reality.

    ReplyDelete